Olney, Maryland is located north of Washington, DC at the intersection of Georgia Avenue (Rte 97) and Olney Sandy Spring Road (Rte 108). People that live here, rarely move and those that visit often return to make it their home. It is no mystery why that occurs. There are hundreds of reasons. Let me share the top 10.
10. Local produce on sale during Spring, Summer and Fall at the Olney Farmers and Artist Market. The combination of creative endeavors and the fine art of growning veggies is on display every Sunday from mid-morning to early afternoon.
9. The Olney Theater is open year round. The Olney Theatre has been offering productions since 1942. The theater is rich in history and draws audiences from near and far.
8. The Olney Grill, The Olney Tavern and The Olney Ale House are all offering style and substance for your culinary enjoyment. Every town has fast food or chain restaurant fare…Olney has three of the top, single location eatery’s in Montgomery County.
7. The Olney Boys and Girls Club has it’s home here. The OBGC operates out of it’s facility on rte 108. They have provided services for almost 50,000 boys and girls. In the fall they also offer the famous “Field of Screams”.
6. Free parking! There are no parking meters in Olney. There are no pay to park lots in Olney. Every retail location has plenty of free parking. Most single family homes have driveways and/or garages.
5. Cherry blossoms. Local neighborhoods have hundreds upon hundreds of cherry trees. Springtime in Olney is a wonderful, colorful experience. There is little need to drive to DC, you have the beauty all around you at home.
4. Neighborhoods. Town center is surrounded by neighborhoods. These neighborhoods usually have an association that promotes interaction between neighbors. These are real neighborhoods where people get to know and care about one another.
3. FIOS. Most neighborhoods in Olney have access to fiber optic internet service. Folks that work from home or those that need that gazillion baud rate will never be twiddling their thumbs here.
2. Montgomery General Hospital is here. The hospital has been serving the area since around 1910. The finest medical care available is located right in town. In an emergency situation, help is minutes away. The hospital has a strong community outreach program.
1. Community. Olney offers community to those that live here. There are fine schools, public and private. There are year round events where neighbors come together. There are houses of worship open to all. There is a sense of caring and community spirit that is very unique.
If you would like to hear more about Olney, give us a call and we will be glad to share all the information we have on this community. If you would like to see what homes are available in Olney, visit the main Olney Page.
John MacArthur and Lourdes Tudela-MacArthur
Century 21 New Millennium