Homes for sale in the Bowie area
During the first half of the 20th century, Bowie remained a fairly small town, surviving mainly because of its location between Baltimore and Washington. Not quite a “bedroom coummunity” but certainly Bowie was more than a cross roads. Bowie was home.
In 1957, the Levitt Company bought 2,000 acres of the Belair Estate, including the mansion. After persuading the Bowie City Council to annex the land, Levitt built almost 9,000 moderately-priced houses during the 1960s and 1970s. Two rows of giant tulip polars, planted two centuries earlier along the road from the mansion to what is now Rte. 450, became part of the development.
The new part of Bowie became a community of young professionals who commuted to Washington and Baltimore. The old part of Bowie retained its small town atmosphere, with antique shops housed in turn-of-the-century dwellings.
Levitt donated the Belair Mansion to the city in 1964. It is restored and available to the community for tours and special events. Another land-mark, the Whitemarsh Church, originally built by Jesuits in 1742 and then rebuilt after it was destroyed by fire in 1855, still stands near Priest Bridge and Defense Highway.
With the addition of many high-tech businesses, new homes, millions of square feet of office space, and several hotels and shopping centers, Bowie continues to grow as a warm and prosperous community. The walkscore is not very high, but the Bowie Town Center (with it’s large parking area) is a small town within the town.